You are viewing a holiday cottage to rent in Belmullet, Blacksod Bay, County Mayo. It is a Terraced Beachhouse.
Located on the Wild Atlantic Way, this character filled coastguard cottage is situated in the picturesque village of Blacksod, right on the beach and boasts fantastic views of Blacksod bay and Achill Island. It is comfortably furnished with a cosy open fire and a Belfast sink in the kitchen. The area boasts a number of beautiful Blue Flag beaches and pretty coves. There is plenty to do with walking, fishing, horse riding, local bicycle hire and magnificent scenery right on your doorstep making this a great base for exploring what Mayo has to offer.
Shop 1.5 miles. Pub 20 yards. Beach 15 yards.
GF: lounge/diner, kitchen, bathroom with shower over bath. FF: 2 doubles, adult bunk.
Electricity and oil central heating included, oil filled radiators, open fire with starter pack, linen and towels included, No Smoking, travel cot, stair gate, TV, dvd player, radio, CD, fridge with small ice box, microwave, w/machine, deck chairs, hairdryer, electric blankets, partially enclosed shared garden, front and back courtyard, garden furniture, bbq, private off road parking. Pets welcome.
On the wild Atlantic coast of County Mayo on the southern tip of the Mullet Peninsula 20 km south of Belmullet is the quiet and unspoilt village Blacksod (An F*d Dubh in Gaelic).
It is a place of outstanding natural beauty, golden beaches, scenic coastal roads mystic Islands and wild bog land. With 2 Blue Flag Beaches at Elly Bay and Mullaghroe, and miles of rugged Atlantic coastline, it is a perfect place to relax and get away from it all.
The area is steeped in ancient history and folklore it is part of the Mayo Gaeltacht, where the Irish language is alive and still in everyday use. Two Irish language summer colleges are located nearby where students from all over Ireland and from abroad come to improve their Irish language skills.
Or if feeling more active you can take part in walking or hiking or the many water based activities locally from fishing, diving, surfing, sailing and more.
There are many local festivals organised, mainly during the summer time.
* The Blacksod Point Challenge (Triathlon) held in mid September.This is an annual event which is usually held around the 3rd weekend in September. The challenge includes swim course 1,500m(sea), cycle course 23km and run course 10km.
* La an Logha, translated The Day of Indulgence. This is the single biggest event of the year in the area and takes place on the 15th August. It is the highlight of the summer season and emigrants arrange their holidays around this time. Huge crowds gather, school and childhood friendships are often renewed.
* Feile Iorrais International Folk Arts Festival, is held in July. Visiting fold and arts groups, workshops for adults and children along with literary competitions.
* Gweesalia (Goath Saile) Festival. A festival of fun, horse and pony racing on Doolough beach, dog show and greyhound racing, music and dance along with meeting old friends. Held in August.
* Belmullet Sea Angling Festival. Renowned international annual festival. Competition held in August.
* Visit Ionad Deirbhile, the local heritage centre in Eachleim (Aughleam) which stores some of the history of the area.
Traditional music sessions every Thurs night in Aras Inis Gluaire, Belmullet's bi-lingual Arts Centre, starting Thurs 18th July 9pm.
Fishing - Sea 100 yards. Traditional Music 20 yards. Childrens Playground 1.5 miles. Horse riding 5 miles. Golf 10 miles.
Read customer reviews about this cottage